Sunday, March 29, 2009

WA#6 Final Draft

It was a beautiful day and the sun shown heavily on my brown mane. My bald African American partner and I were just sitting down to our spaghetti lunch special at Biggins’ Diner when we received a call of a robbery. It was not easy but we finally parted with our spaghetti special to report to the scene of the crime.
We arrived at Biggins’ Grocers where it had been reported that a small muscular man with a pinwheel hat stole a large amount of bananas, some ten bushels or so. We approached the store manager who witnessed the robbery and all he could say was that, “It happened oh so fast, so fast, so fast… fast”. We did as much as we could but we had little evidence as to where the robber had fled to. As we walked out of Biggins’ my partner pointed out a small pile of banana peels strewed about under a certain Juniperus communis shrub. We didn’t know what it meant but we could only guess that our robber must have eaten a banana…
We hopped in our shining blue patrol car to return to our spaghetti special Mr. Biggins saved for us. We didn’t get two blocks until we got another call of another robbery over at another Biggins’ Grocer across town.
We sped through the city street in a haze of confusion with our lights flashing warning anyone to get the stepping. We flew into the parking lot guns blazing ready for some action only to see the robber dive down an alley way dragging what seemed like a banana monster. It was the first time I thought I might lose my life. We dove out of the car in the proper rolling procedure, our guns pointed at the alley. When we decided it was safe we slowly crept towards the alley way, across the parking lot which was nearly 100 yards. There was so much buzzing through my head, I could picture my wife and kids, my mother and father, Mr. Biggins and my spaghetti special. My life had just flashed before my eyes… at that point we were only fifty yards away from the alley still creeping along strictly following proper procedure. A half hour went by when we finally reached the opening to the alley. With my back against the brick wall I looked at my partner wondering if it was going to be the last. He nodded at me signaling me to make my move around the alley corner. The sweat dripped down my face dripping into my eyes, it stung so badly. I finally mustered up the courage after a few minutes of hyperventilating and dove around the corner with my gun out ready to shoot. “FREEZE! PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPON! DON’T MAKE ME SHOOT!” My eyes were closed but I unloaded several rounds down the mysterious alley. After the last casing had dropped I opened my eyes and there stood a chimpanzee. I was amazed it was still alive but then I looked over in the corner where a dumpster stood with a couple dozen bullet holes in it. The chimp was surrounded by a pile of bananas just munching away. I lowered my gun and my partner and another officer came running up behind me. We all looked with amazement at the simple chimp eating the pile of bananas. I walked over to him, which we discovered later on, with my hand out in salutation. He then socked me in the eye. I stumbled back whimpering at the ferocious act of violence. The chimp then waddled over to me with an outstretched had holding a banana. I slowly reached and took the banana. He then folded his lips back smiling and screeching happily. My partner, the other officer, and I then sat down to a nice meal of bananas with the chimp followed by a quite delightful grooming session.
I had never been witness to such a frightful and pure moment in the field. Now everyday after that it seems I have grown more and more courageous knowing that sometimes the outcome isn’t always a dreadful threatening nightmare.

No comments: